It’s that time of year when teachers get to relax and enjoy the flowers, chocolates, and brownies bestowed on all teachers this day. But perhaps with all that time on hand, it’s also a good time to find ways to help be a more effective and efficient classroom manager and wielder of pedagogical tools and technological advances.
Here’s a cheat sheet to help you stay on top of your game:
1. Lessons in motivation
- Education World offers a comprehensive resource for classroom management.
- Tips on accumulating respect include setting boundaries and rules.
- Keeping the one child calm can help the whole class stay focused.
- Humour and narratives are ways to engage the brain.
- Appropriate incentives can go a long way with the learning process.
- Positive reinforcement provides a conducive learning environment.
2. New to the job?
- Here’s a to do list to help you get that head start.
- Help on working with parents is at hand: Communication is key.
- There are many ways to make parent-teacher collaborations work for you.
3. Making technology your friend
- Gaming and mobile learning are the buzz words in today’s learning culture.
- Having technology is one thing. Using it well for learning is another.
- How useful is social media for teaching language?
- iPad apps – classroom applications
- Using iPads to drive learning
4. Don’t be bullied
- Know the facts: Bully-free campaign
- A research monograph from the Singapore Children’s Society
- Projects on bullying by the Singapore Children’s Society
- A Stop Bullying campaign written by children for children
- Other resources on bullying from LiveScience
- What is bullying?
- Tips for students
- More tips for students
5. Parenting skills for teachers